3D printing plays an important role in manufacturing today. Over the years, technological advancements in the 3D printing industry have ensured higher accuracy, affordability, and customization.
Please see below for answers to questions that you may have regarding 3D printing services in Kitchener.
What is 3D Printing?
3D Printing, also known as Additive Manufacturing (AM), is the process of building parts or objects layer-by-layer using a three-dimension technology from a digital CAD file. Each layer can be seen as a thinly sliced cross-section of the object. AM is the opposite of subtractive manufacturing (CNC) which is cutting out a piece of metal or plastic. Additive technologies enable the production of complex shapes that are otherwise un-manufacturable using any other method.
The Benefits of 3D Printing
It is not a surprise that many companies are beginning to embrace the many possibilities that come with AM. This success can be attributed to the following factors:
- Low Cost: Reduced material waste and labor costs
- Flexibility: Additive allows multiple iterations without the high upfront costs of tooling
- Consistent Quality: Quality from part to part is identical due to digital slicing, removing risks of human error.
- Risk Reduction: Low upfront costs and consistent quality reduce a company’s manufacturing risk.
What is Selective Laser Sintering 3D Printing?
In Kitchener, Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) 3D printing is a very popular process. Do you know what it entails?
SLS is a type of AM technology that uses a high-power laser to sinter small polymer powder particles into a solid 3D model structure. Typical SLS materials are Nylon 11, 12 and composites.
This method of Printing has been around since the 90’s and has continued to improve. It is widely used among engineers and manufacturers requiring cost effective end-use parts. Its agility gives it an edge over the other types of Am.
The Advantages of Using SLS 3D Printing Services.
SLS 3D printing has many advantages:
- Design Freedom: Technologies such as SLA and FDM require special support structures to print successfully. SLS parts print ‘supportless’ in a vat of powder. This allows for increased freedom when designing parts for printing.
- High Productivity: SLS printing is known as the quickest 3D printing process for end-use and functional parts. The ability to print without support allows parts to nest together easily in the build chamber.
- Durable Materials: SLS prints primarily in Nylon and its composites. SLS printed parts have very high density and mechanical properties that compare to traditional manufacturing methods. Nylon can be used for functional application such including snap fits and living hinges.
SLS most commonly used in engineering (for rapid prototyping), manufacturing, and healthcare industries.
3D Printing Services in Kitchener?
Agile Manufacturing Inc. provides 3D printing services in Kitchener.
Agile offers every AM technology and material to help you with all your project needs.